Collection, Use & Disclosure
We recognise that the information we collect is often of a highly sensitive nature and as an organisation we have adopted the highest privacy compliance standards relevant to ensure personal information is protected.
We are a service company to the practitioners who provide services at out practice. For administrative and billing purposes, and to enable the client to be attended by other practitioners in our practice, client information is shared between the practitioners who attend a client.
We (on behalf of) and the practitioners may collect personal information (including health information) regarding clients for the purpose of providing medical services and treatment to clients. Personal information collected will generally include: the client’s name, address, telephone number, and medicare number; health care fund; current drugs or treatments used by the client; previous and current medical history, including where clinically relevant a family medical history, and the name of any health service provider or medical specialist to whom the client is referred, copies of any letters of referrals and copies of any reports back.
We may access information:
- Provided directly by the client;
- Provided on the client’s behalf with the client’s consent;
- From a health service provider who refers the client to medical practitioners
- From health service providers to whom clients are referred.
Personal information collected by us may be used or disclosed:
- For the purpose the client was advised of at the time of collection of the information by us;
- As required for the delivery of the health service to the clients;
- As required for the ordinary operation of our services (i.e. to refer the client to a medical specialist or other health service provider);
- As required under compulsion of law; or
- Where there is a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health, or safety; or
- A serious threat to public health or public safety.
Other than as described in this Policy or permitted under the national Privacy Act, Brain Treatment Centre Australia uses its reasonable endeavours to ensure that identifying information is not disclosed to any person.
We keep health information indefinitely on secure computer drives.
Because of the sensitive nature of the information collected by us to provide services, extra precautions are taken to ensure the security of that information. Our electronic files are password protected on several levels, and the computer backup drives are stored securely offsite.
We require all employees and contractors to observe the obligations of confidentiality during their employment/contract. We require independent contractors to sign a confidentiality undertaking.
Practitioners who provide services at our practice may refer clients to the following services:
- Pathology services
- Radiology services
- Public hospitals
- Private hospitals
- Day procedure units
- Allied health services – specialist medical practitioners and other health providers involved in the relevant client’s care which may include surgeons, nurses, occupational therapists, pharmacists, physiotherapists, dieticians, audiologists, podiatrists and the ambulance service.
Secondary purposes which are directly related to the primary purpose of collection for which we may use or disclose personal information may be for quality assurance, training, billing, liaising with government offices regarding Medicare entitlements and payments and as may be required by our insurers.
We also collect information about the medical practitioners who provide services at our practice. This information is collected directly from or with the agreement of the medical practitioner. This information includes the name, address, qualifications and experience of the medical practitioner.
Accessing your information, complaints and obtaining further information:
If an individual wishes to:
- Complain to us about a breach of privacy; or
- Access his or her own information held by us; or
- Correct any information held by us concerning his or her own information; or
- Find out more about how we deal with personal information, that individual can contact:
The Practice Manager
1300 428 228
Brain Treatment Centre Austalia
19-31 Dickson Road,
Morayfield Qld 4506