What You Should Know about MeRT for Autism
What You Should Know about MeRT for Autism for Autism
At Brain Treatment Centre Australia, we are dedicated to helping our patients and their families create a path to a brighter future, and MeRT for autism is one of the ways that we do so. MeRT is a completely non-invasive and nonsurgical procedure. MeRT uses magnetic fields to stimulate neurons in the brain.
How Does MeRT for Autism Work?
When we use MeRT for autism, we are actually using Magnetic e-Resonance Therapy (MeRTSM), which is a more individualised and targeted form of TMS. Here’s how the process works:
- We take regular EEG recordings. The big difference between MeRTSM and traditional TMS is that we are regularly performing electroencephalogram (EEG) recordings. An EEG is a test that allows us to evaluate the electrical activity in the brain. As brain cells communicate with each other, electrical activity occurs. Monitoring this activity regularly, particularly as we are targeting different parts of the brain for neurological stimulation allows us to see how different strategies impact the patient.
Every person is different, which means that what is an effective MeRT autism therapy approach for one patient may not be as effective for another patient. Taking regular EEG recordings enables us to adjust our targeted approach based on how the patient responds to MeRT.
- We aim to align brain activity. Our goal with any patient—including patients seeking magnetic resonance therapy for autism—is to help align neural activity so that the brain can function more coherently. An EEG of a patient with autism or other developmental delays will often reflect a mix of many different brainwave frequencies in the frontal portions of the brain. A neurotypical patient, on the other hand, typically has a more standard or dominant frequency. By using magnetic stimulation, we can often target disorganised brainwave activity and help to align or streamline it. In turn, the patient can experience a range of benefits that positively affect quality of life and mental function.
- We use a completely tailored approach. We believe that no two patients are the same. This statement is especially true with autism, a condition with which a patient can fall on a broad spectrum of symptoms. Even if two patients have identical symptoms, that doesn’t mean that their brain activity is the same. Different hurdles to neural activity and communication within the brain can bring about similar or identical symptoms. It is for this reason that EEG-driven treatments are essential, and it is why targeted MeRTSM strategies form a part of alternative autism treatment.
Note that MeRTSM and its potential benefits are not exclusive to autism or depression. At the Brain Treatment Centre, we have also used this approach to help patients with stress, concentration difficulties, memory problems, chronic pain, and more.
Benefits of MeRT for Autism
What are the benefits of MeRT autism therapy?
Given the nuances of the human brain and the uniqueness of each patient, it is not currently possible to guarantee one specific outcome from MeRT therapy for autism. With that in mind, here are a few areas in which we have seen improvements in our patients:
- CARS Scores. The Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS) is the scoring standard for diagnosing autism. Children with scores over 30 are considered to fall on the autism spectrum. Scores of 38 and higher indicate severe autism. Through MeRTSM treatment, 50 percent of patients recorded at least a 30 percent improvement in their CARS score, linked to a corresponding change in the severity of their autism.
- The disorganised brain activity of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) can lead to numerous symptoms, include disturbances in sleep or reduced sleep quality. 70 percent of patients who have tried this new autism treatment have experienced their sleep patterns returning to normal.
- 66 percent of individuals whose autism presented communication difficulties (verbal or non-verbal) experienced improvement through MeRTSM.
- Eye Contact. One detail that we can often observe in ASD patients is their difficulty or inability to retain eye contact with others during conversations. Trial findings reflect that 70 percent of the individuals who had difficulty maintaining eye contact before MeRTSM treatment experienced improvements after treatment.
- Learning Capacity. Developmental delays such as autism sometimes lead to diminished learning capacity. 50 percent of MeRTSM patients experienced an improvement in learning capacity after they began therapy.
This list does not encompass the full range of benefits that a patient may experience from proceeding with transcranial magnetic stimulation for autism. Other studies have revealed that the MeRTSM method can make patients less irritable, help with repetitive behaviours, and result in other benefits.
Always remember that the specific benefits of MeRT for autism will vary depending on the patient and the symptoms that he or she is currently experiencing. We look at every patient and every brain as a standalone entity. Through careful observation and ongoing EEG, we hope to deliver the most effective treatment—and the greatest possible benefits—to each patient.
About Brain Treatment Centre Australia
If you are seeking MeRT therapy for autism on the Sunshine Coast, Morayfield or Paradise Point on the Gold Coast, we hope you will consider Brain Treatment Centre Australia as your destination for assistance and guidance. While our practice is a fresh resource for families, we are affiliated with a well-respected United States entity—the Brain Treatment Center—that has made considerable headway in promoting MeRT and its potential benefits for autism therapy.
Would you like to sit down with our doctors to discuss this new autism therapy further? Please contact us today.